The Mountain Post Historical Association (MPHA) is a nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization founded in 2006 dedicated to supporting the 4th Infantry Division Museum and Ft. Carson’s historically related programs by providing education to the public of the many sacrifices made to protect our freedom.
Purpose of MPHA
• To Support the 4th Infantry Museum
• To recognize and honor the sacrifices of Fort Carson’s Soldiers, units, and families in defending freedom since 1942.
• Celebrate the unique relationships that have evolved with the communities of the Front Range and Colorado.
• Educate our youth and fellow citizens on the proud history of Fort Carson Soldiers and families.
History Camp/Fort Carson
Named for BG Christopher “Kit” Carson, Camp Carson was established 27 January 1942…weeks after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Because Camp Carson was landlocked, supplies to aid in mountain warfare training were brought in by pack mules. In 1954 the question of whether “Camp Carson” would endure was answered when Fort Carson was designated as a permanent post. More than 66 years later, still buzzing with daily activity, Fort Carson is a key component of the US Army and this country’s National Defense.
- 2016- Renovation on the Museum completed and is now over 3500 square feet with more displays.
- 2011 – The 2,200 square foot 4th Infantry Division Museum was opened to the public. The Center includes exhibits, scheduled educational programs, and Memorial Wall of fallen Soldiers.
- 2009 – Launch the Capital Campaign Phase II
- 2008 – Developed exterior site plan and planted the first 10 of the 77 trees from the Colorado Conservation Districts
- 2007 – Colorado State designates MPHCA Enterprise Zone status
- 2006 – Accomplishments
- MPHCA obtains 501(c)(3) status from IRS
- Memorandum of Understanding between MPHCA and Fort Carson signed (Allocate the parcel of federal land adjacent to Gate and State Highway 115 for the purpose of constructing Mountain Post Historical Center, grounds
- HB&A developed a conceptual artist rendering
- 2005 – Design team selected HB&A architectural and planning firm Colorado Springs
- 2004 – Articles of Incorporation and By Laws for Mountain Post Historical Center Association (MPHCA) developed and filed in El Paso County